Please note our new telephone number: (562) 801-7540
Welcome to the College Career Center web page.
Representatives from special programs are available to offer students one-on-one assistance and answer questions about college. See the Program Advisor for an application to join one of these excellent programs. Advisor schedules are as follows:
Generation 1st Degree Pico Rivera - Leader Program
Monday, Wednesday & Friday 9:30AM - 3:00PM
Monday & Wednesday 7:30AM - 4:00PM
Friday 7:30AM - 10:30AM
Tuesday 11:00AM - 3:00PM
Thursday & Friday 8:00AM - 3:30PM
Cal State LA
Wednesday (every other)
11:00AM - 3:00PM
Monday 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Wednesday 9:00AM - 3:00PM
Friday 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Monday 8:00AM - 12:00PM
Wednesday 9:00AM - 3:00PM
Friday 9:00 AM - 2:00PM
Rio Hondo College
Friday 8:00AM - 3:00PM
Sign up in the CCC to meet with these representatives:
• US Marines - Wednesday, March 21st - Quad during lunch
All scholarship applications are available in paper form in the College Career Center unless an online link has been provided.
$1,000 COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Deadline: March 16, 2018
• Graduating senior planning to enroll in a 2- or 4-year college or university
• Minimum 3.0 GPA
• Evidence of community or school involvement
• Short essay (not to exceed 700 words)
Please answer ONE (1) of the following three essay prompts. Your essay should not exceed 700 words, there is no minimum length. Be sure to address each portion within your chosen essay prompt.
- Prompt 1:
Describe the impact that attending college will have on your future. What do you hope to achieve by going to college? How will your future benefit by obtaining a degree? How do you see your college aspirations and future career benefitting the community at large?
- Prompt 2:
Write about a person who has been uniquely influential in your life. Explain how this person came into your life and speak to what insight or wisdom this person imparted to you. How has the influence of this person impacted your view toward attending college and being a part of your community?
- Prompt 3:
Describe an obstacle or difficult life experience that you have overcome. How has this motivated you to pursue your future education? What might your life be like if you had not overcome this obstacle? What advice would you give others that are facing a similar hardship in their life?
Click Here for online application
JERALDINE BATES FAMILY SCHOLARSHIP ($6,000)
Deadline: March 30, 2018
1. Resident of Pico Rivera
2. High School Senior accepted to a four-year university or college for Fall 2018
3. Minimum GPA of 3.5
4. U.S. Citizen
5. Demonstrate financial need
6. Demonstrate leadership abilities through participation in athletics, the arts, academic organizations, extracurricular activities and/or community services.
Send completed application and all attachments to:
Jeradline Family Scholarship
c/o Pio Pico Women's Club
P.O. Box 612
Pico Rivera, CA 90660
MUST BE RECEIVED by March 30, 2018.
THE TIAHUI SCHOLARSHIP ($1,000)
Deadline: March 31, 2018
• El Rancho High School senior graduating Spring 2018
• Latino(a)/Hispanic or Native American heritage
• First generation college student
• Plan to enroll full-time in an accredited 4-year college/university in the US during Fall 2018
Application is a fillable PDF. Please TYPE all requested information BEFORE printing.
Must submit two (2) letters of recommendation: one from outside the school, and one from inside the school. Letters can come from teachers, school counselors or administrators, former supervisors, coaches, and other people who have interacted with the student in an educational or professional environment.
· RECOMMENDERS, please use the confidential letter of recommendation form available by Clicking Here.
EL RANCHO FEDERATION OF TEACHERS ($1,000)
Deadline: April 3, 2018 at 3:30PM
• High school senior accepted to a 4-year college/university or attending community college during Fall 2018
• Minimum GPA of 2.5
• Proof of involvement in social justice activities or community service
• Parent is a member of a union
Application is a fillable PDF. Please TYPE requested information BEFORE printing.
PICO WATER DISTRICT SCHOLARSHIP ($500)
Deadline: April 17, 2018
• Graduating in 2018
• Plan to attend college or university by Fall 2018
• Proof of involvement in community service, volunteer work and/or environmental efforts
• MUST reside in the Pico Water District (water bill paid at office on Church Street)
ROBERT PAQUETTE TRADE SCHOOL SCHOLARSHP ($1,000)
Deadline: April 30, 2018
This scholarship is open to Seniors who will attend a trade/vocational school or community college with a focus on a specific trade. Must have a minimum GPA of 2.0, please attach copy of transcript. Short essay (250-500 words) answering: Reasons for applying for this scholarship. Financial problems and/or unusual circumstances. Additional information you wish to share as part of the application.
PEPSICO CESAR CHAVEZ LATINO SCHOLARSHIP ($5,000)
Deadline: May 25, 2018
• Current high school senior of Latino descent
• Minimum GPA of 3.0
• Will attend college/university in Arizona or California as a full-time student during the 2018-2019 school year
• Application open to U.S. Citizen, Permanent Legal Resident, Undocumented Resident, DACA or Eligible Non-Citizen (as defined by FAFSA)
UNIVERSITY'S TUTOR SCHOLARSHIP ESSAY CONTEST ($1,000)
Deadline: The end of every month
The Contest is open to anyone 16 years of age or older. Each essay must be at least 300 words and in response to a monthly essay prompt made available on the Website. All essay submissions must be submitted through the Website by 11:59 PM CST.
FREE SCHOLARSHIP SEARCH PROGRAMSMALDEF
- Scholarship Resource Guide
This is an extensive list of scholarships that may not require a valid social security number to redeem the award. It is suggested that you look through the scholarship list and select scholarships that are applicable to you.SallieMae
Easy to use FREE service with no ads and no selling of user info
Contains over 2.8 million scholarships worth more than $16 billion
Questionnaire also offered in Spanish
Sort scholarships by name, deadline or award amount
Adjustable match accuracy to see more or fewer awards
View printable calendar listing all scholarship deadlines
Register online at www.collegeanswer.comUnigo Scholarship Match
Free scholarship matching service with a database of over 3.6 million scholarships. Scholarships added daily.Click Here
to register online.
To get a Work Permit:
Download a Work Permit Request Form
and instructions here. Please read instructions carefully and make sure all requested information is completed. Students looking for Entertainment Permits must contact the Department of Industrial Relations-Division of Labor Standards at 562-590-5048.Resume
- Some employers may require you to submit a resume. There are several online templates available. If you have never had a job or are having a difficult time finding a template to use, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
and I will send you a template and instructions.
The following employers are accepting applications:
• Carl's Jr.
9400 Slauson Ave., Pico Rivera
• Del Taco
8650 Washington Blvd., Pico Rivera
8692 Whittier Blvd., Pico Rivera
9325 Whittier Blvd., Pico Rivera
• Taco Bell
9180 Whittier Blvd., Pico Rivera
8450 Washington Blvd., Pico Rivera
8756 Washington Blvd., Pico Rivera
THE LATINA PUBLIC SERVICE ACADEMY
Deadline: March 20, 2018
The program is FREE and provides government and public policy training and instruction to high school Latinas from low-income communities. The curriculum includes skills training as well as campaign and organizing modules to prepare them to run for elective office, or to work for elected or appointed officials.
• 10th, 11th or 12th grade female
• At least one parent is of Latino/Hispanic heritage
• Minimum GPA of 2.0
• Must be available to attend all three (3) days of the program:
Saturday, April 14th 9AM-5PM
Tuesday, April 17th 9AM-3PM
Saturday, April 21st 9AM-5PM
CONGRESSIONAL HISPANIC CAUCUS INSTITUTE - R2L NextGen Program
Deadline: March 23, 2018
Have you ever dreamed of visiting our nation’s capital and learning about how our government works? CHCI has an all-expense paid leadership experience designed just for Latino high school students. Spend a week exploring Washington, D.C., while creating lasting friendships and wonderful memories. Participate in R2L® NextGen and make this a summer to remember. You can choose to attend June 24-29 or July 15-20, 2018.
Students who wish to apply must:
- Be a current 10th or 11th grade student
- Demonstrate interest in learning more about civic engagement
All individuals are welcome to apply. However, preference is given to individuals with financial need.